Thursday, January 6, 2022

Is age really just a number?

 You probably have heard the saying that "Age is just a number" when people are trying to justify their decisions. But is it really just a number?? 

Turned 26 today, better send in your gifts, and it left me wondering whether l feel older or have I just added a number to my birth certificate. Well, there's no switch that clicks in you when you make a year, it is like any other normal day. I literary pried myself out of bed to get some work done and still don't have a penny in my purse or in my bank account! 

Looking back at the years, l could have not grown taller or bigger, am still 5'3 and struggling to get to 50 kgs since l can remember, but there are pretty much more decisions l made about 3-5 years ago that l think back to, and cringe. How was it me that made those decisions? What was wrong with me? How could l believe that was love? There are some decisions l would still make though. 

I'm not the oldest nor the wisest, but l  have come to believe that maybe age is not just a number, we need to live through these years to decern better. It may be the resilience that comes with surviving the storm of the early '20s but there's definitely a feeling you get when it clicks that you're now at the helm of the '20s. 

Forget the cultural pressure of expectations, the pressure from your more-achieving agemates, self-doubt, and everything around it. It's like watching your own life movie, you fight to be better, define your career path, see yourself open a new life chapter, for many to start a family. There's a realization you get that you sort of owe the world something, a better you, a responsible you, gosh l can't even wrap my finger around it!

Adulting is a fun, exciting, and really tough experience. 

To forging a way through these late '20s. 

Here's my official birthday picture, overgrown eyebrows are now part of me.  


2 comments:

  1. But you are still a child … and yes age is just a number although when you add a number to your age, you start seeing things in a different angle tho this ain’t for every one 😂😂 but breathe hun breathe

    ReplyDelete